Thursday, June 10, 2010

wonderful

as a child
i smooshed a spider dead-
relieved
at having rid our home
of such a menace
i looked to my parents
with pride

how will you
bring that life back
my father asked,
what will you do
to replace what you have taken?

i wonder
about the balance of things
especially now
soaring precariously over the land
of my nation
having just left
the land of my birth
and the land of my father
and his fathers,
before him-

and i wonder
if it isn't just a story
we tell ourselves;

that we can ever
replace what we've taken
seems like make-believe
or the simple shaping
of a child's character
to, you hope,
one of respect
and empathy.

i'm starting to wonder
if the world
doesn't get less and less light-
if that deep
and ancient fire
doesn't die a little
with each extinguished
breath-

though, truth be told,
i'm sick of explanations
and find the reasoning
weak,
and full of holes.

i didn't die
in the cannon-force explosion
of the harpoon gun
shot from a heart of stone
with a cold, accurate aim
and i wonder,
why not?

2 comments:

  1. Last Stanza...I want it tatooed on my back in bold, black letters. But who sees my bare back these days? No one, I (sincerely) hope......wonderful emotion wonderfully conveyed. Another magic trick of the pen.
    Mas, por favor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. throughout, you maintain a steady rhythm. though the tone changes and reveals your wisdom as you near the end, it all glides along with a unified idea pace. already it's great, but it's like the oracle inflating for a moment with deep tones of rune gods for that last stanza, and rhythm quickens cold and fast, to me showing confidence of final message. i just don't understand the words (of the last part)...

    ReplyDelete